Monday 6 April 2020

Maria Toorpakai - Empowering women through sports

Good morning Year 5! 

I hope you all had a very lovely weekend staying safe, indoors and washing hands as often as possible! 

I'm going to be in school this week which I'm very much looking forward to but I will be thinking of you and missing you all very much. 

I wanted to share with you this very inspiring story about another determined Pakistani female whose story I couldn't resist showing you. Can you think about 3 similarities she shares with Malala? 


Toorpakai is a Pakistani squash player. She has a truly remarkable story. As she rose to a high up position in her sport, she caught the attention of the Taliban. She received threats from the Taliban. So for her protection, she remained trapped in her home practicing squash in her bedroom for four years. During that time, she wrote every famous squash player she could think of; finally, Jonathon Power responded and she joined him to train in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment