Tuesday 7 April 2020

Jahkil Jackson - The 9-year-old making a difference

Maakye Year 5, 

That's 'good morning' in Ghanain pronounced Maa-chi (Sarah please correct me if this is wrong!)


Another day, another inspirational person that I wanted to share with you! When I was your age I couldn't wait to grow up so that I could start actually doing things. But what I didn't realise is that I could DO things while I was young. Look at this amazing human Jahkil for instance, I know that if he can do it, so can you. Click on the link to watch the full video. 


Jahkil Jackson, 9, of Chicago, founded “Project I Am” to help the homeless in his hometown. Within the last year, he’s compiled and distributed more than 3,000 “Blessings Bags” filled with toiletry items, a towel, socks, and light snacks. He has organized donation drop-off sites and bag-stuffing parties where community members, family, and his fourth-grade friends help him create the bags. He has also established partnerships with homeless shelters and other relief agencies, where he distributes each of his bags and spends time in conversation with the recipients. A frequent public speaker, Jahkil challenges children to find their passion and use it to make a difference. “When I speak to other kids at schools and community centers, I always say, ‘Don’t wait until you are an adult to be great,’ Jahkil told Gloria Barron Prize for Young Heroes. “‘You can be great now!'”

No comments:

Post a Comment