Monday 11 May 2020

Staying in touch with our cultures

I love that we live in a city that is populated with such a wide variety of cultures, religions, beliefs, and ethnic backgrounds. I was lucky enough to grow up in a family of different cultures, my mum being English and my dad being Turkish. I love that I get to call 2 countries home and that, in this great city, I'm able to celebrate my culture freely. This is not the case everywhere.

As we grow up, especially when younger, it can be really hard to stay in touch with our cultures and our family traditions. We don't always get the opportunity enough to talk about them and share them with our peers. Being able to understand cultures and beliefs is vital to keeping peace in our communities, especially at a time like now where we are relying on those around us to help us.

I thought it would be a nice idea for people to share parts of their cultures that they are proud of, or enjoy or which they celebrate. The more we understand each other as humans, the better we can communicate on all levels.

I will start by sharing with you this bread I made on the weekend. Bread is a part of every Turkish meal. Meals are what unite Turkish families. Bread is for everyone in Turkey both rich or poor. It is essential for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This bread reminds me of the village where we have a house in Turkey and being with my family who I am separated from at the moment and not sure when I will see again. But it also reminds me of all the good times I had there and will have there again soon, so I'm trying to stay positive.


I would love for you to share something with our class about your culture or belief. You can either send us a photo or just write something in the comments sections. 


6 comments:

  1. hi miss oner Jamila here my family are from Somalia and we have really nice food my favorite food is rice and meat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamila, so great to hear from you! Thanks for sharing, are there any specific ingredients used in somali cooking that you know of? - Miss Oner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes my favourite is any kind of the really hot chilly or spice

      Delete
  3. my favourite ingredient is spice powder which is really nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. in argentina on the 24 of march we celebrate the day of the memory,true and justice

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a family meal called red spaghetti.It is spaghetti with tomato purée and fried heluimi cut into squares.

    ReplyDelete