Thursday 14 May 2020

Historic Heroes

Good morning Year 5, hope you are having a wonderful week so far and being safe and positive as much as possible. 

Today I wanted to share with you a man that I admire greatly. A man with principal, passion and courage. He was born Cassius Clay and later in life converted to Islam and became 'the greatest' -  Muhammad Ali. 

He became a boxer at the age of about 11 and went on to become the world's greatest at a time when history was making a real change in America. It was during the civil rights movement that Muhammad was at the height of his career and he had a lot more to fight for than just his opponent in the ring. 

One of the things I love about him the most is that despite being a strong athlete, when America went to war, he refused to fight. He believed in peace, not war.

 Muhammad Ali was quoted “I’m not going to fight in this white man’s war, to free people half away around the world. You (whites) won't even fight for me in this country, I’m being oppressed right here.” He was forced to surrender his title and ban from boxing, then also jailed.


Today I would like you to think of who your heroes in society are and write about why you admire them and if they have any impact on your life. 

You can share them in the comments or send in your work to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment